Refinishing the inside of the bed
Well, the bed didn't look a whole lot better than the hood had.
Years of hauling and neglect had taken its toll.
Spilling battery acid, ATF and brake fluid didn't help, either.
I could have had a Rhino liner sprayed in, but at $450 I thought I'd try something else.
I decided to have it sand blasted and then paint it with you-know-what, POR-15.
Before the blasting started I had to mask the chrome and back glass with duct tape
to protect it from the blasting media.
Here's the blaster at work. I need one of his suits for painting with POR-15.
He got it finished in about 20 minutes. I wish the clean-up went that fast.
Months later and I'm still cleaning blast media out of nooks and crannies.
After the blasting was done I took it to the carwash and spent $6.00 in quarters trying to get all the blasting media
out of the various cracks and crevices.
Then I brought it home and by the time I got there it had already started to rust. I put it in the garage to dry overnight and paint the next day.
I parked it out in the sun to start painting.
I didn't realize it was half-shaded by a tree when I took the picture.
Hmmm...somebody moved the sun while I was painting. I gave it a couple of coats of
semi-gloss black POR-15 and let it sit in the sun to dry.
When it dried it had a satiny finish to it.
Since it's gonna be under a tonneau cover, I'm very happy with it.
Next page: A new interior color and headliner.