Yet More interior modifications
Here's the speedometer with a decal from Lauren Engineering.
I removed the speedo, took the needle and other bits off and put the new decal on.
Then I had a local shop calibrate it...works like a champ.
What's an underhood picture doing on this page? Well, this is where the steering column gets disconnected when you remove it.
OK. This makes more sense. The column is dropped down and about halfway out.
Well, it's out. Now what do I do?
What I had to do was repair the dreaded "loose tilt wheel" problem in the new column.
This was a large enough job that I decided to create a page with a step-by-step description
of the process with some photos (every write-up I saw about how to do this lacked photos.)
You can view the page by clicking here.
Another thing I had to do was to adapt the windshield wiper/washer switch from a dash-mounted assembly
to the column-mounted "pregnant" turn signal stalk. The column I used out of an 82 Malibu had the pregnant stalk,
but didn't have intermittent wipers. That was ok, because the Elky didn't have them either. It then just became
a matter of splicing in a connector to fit the new colum to the wiper control circuitry. This sounds more difficult than it was.
I just cut off the old connector and spliced it into the connector that I got with the column...all the wires matched up and they
were even color coded correctly.
Next page: Rebuilding the Quadrajet (and converting to an Edelbrock) carb.