More interior modifications
No, I didn't have the stereo ripped off. This is while I was installing the Sony cheepie and working on the heater controls.
Ok. I really did get it back together. The 8-track had to go. It sounds a little better now. The killer sound system will have to wait for a while.
Here's an instrument cluster from an 83 Monte Carlo LS that I got out of a junker. This is where the gauges will be mounted, along with a 140 mph speedo decal from Lauren Engineering.
I took the old cluster out and plugged the Elky cluster in. Didn't work at all. Seems that the electrical connectors are wired completely differently for the Elky and the Monte.
I made a pin-out chart and then snipped a connector out of a junkyard Monte.
Then I removed the wire pins from the connector and plugged them back in the correct slots to match the Monte connector.
Here's the Monte dash installed and ready for testing. The only thing that didn't connect up was the SES light, since there's no computer on the 80 Elky.
It's installed and waiting for the 140mph decal from Lauren.
Then I'll put the tach and Autometer gauges into the cluster.
It also needs the 81 Malibu steering column so that I can use the turn signal lever-mounted windshield wiper switch.
Here's the Hurst ProMatic 2 after installation.
It shifts a hell of a lot better than the old one that came from the Chevelle Organ Donor.
It's a major rush to run the motor up to around 5500 rpm and then bang the ratchet forward
and let it break the rear end loose going into second.
Next page: Yet More interior modifications.