Previous Page
Batmobile Home
Projects Home
Next Page

This was Gayle's first project car, a 1979 Z-28



Well, this is what it looked like when we bought it. Good thing we got it cheap. The motor was seized, the stereo was gone and the headliner was hanging by a few threads.



So we towed it home and parked it in front of the house while we made some room in the garage to start working on it. For some reason I started on the interior first.



Here's the interior just the way we got it. Ugly cheapo seat covers and all.



It's amazing what you can find under the seats in an old car. I must have pulled $5.00 in change out of there. Not to mention several cigarettes and various candies and beer bottle tops. (And this was after the previous owner had cleaned the car!) Hmmmm...kinda makes you wonder.



We pulled the carpet up and the underlayment wasn't much better. We ordered new carpet and sound deadener kit from ACC.



Here's the right side front footwell. Looks pretty yucky.



There was a lot of scraping and cleaning to do in the rear footwells.



The left side isn't much better.



It looks a LOT better with a coat of POR-15. I used silver because (1) I had some and (2) It doesn't dry as smoothly as black... you can see some brush marks and a lot of imperfections.



The sound deadener is in the process of being installed.



Here's what I used to glue the sound deadener down. 3M Spray High Strength Adhesive 90. Don't breathe too much of it while you're spraying it. It'll set you free for sure.



OK. It's glued in. Now to dye the kick panels and get that carpet in.

Previous Page
Batmobile Home
Projects Home
Next Page